The benefits of Jackfruit
Jackfruit is becoming more and more popular, especially amongst the vegan community. Read my latest blog to find out what jackfruit is, where to buy and how to use it, along with finding out about the health benefits of this new trend too!
What is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is a large, spiky green fruit originally found in South India! It’s popularity comes from the fact it has a meat- like texture and is great for making recipes that would normally call for Pulled Pork!
Ripe jackfruit is naturally sweet but with a subtle flavour and can be used in sweet dishes such as cakes and muffins or more commonly unripe jackfruit is made into a vegetable curry!
One can also eat the seeds from jackfruit and they taste similar to chestnuts or Brazil nuts.
Unfortunately although jackfruit is compared to meat, it doesn’t contain the same amount of high protein, however it is a great source of starchy carbohydrates and contains high levels of vitamin B6, so great for a post workout meal and has many other amazing benefits too.
Be sure to buy the tinned version in brine not syrup!
Health Benefits of Jackfruit
Here are my two favourite jackfruit recipes, along with some others that I am eager to try!
Please do share your own creations, I would love to see!
Loaded Sweet Potato BBQ Pulled Jackfruit – serves 1
• 1 tsp coconut oil
• 1 medium sweet potato
• ½ tsp. sea salt
• ½ tsp. black pepper
• ½ a 400g tin young green jackfruit
• 40ml sugar free BBQ sauce
• ½ a medium avocado
• Bunch coriander leaves
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C.
2. Place the sweet potato onto a baking tray and grease with coconut oil, then season with sea salt and black pepper. Bake for 45 minutes on the middle shelf.
3. While you’re waiting for the sweet potato to cook, prepare the jackfruit. Drain the tin of young jackfruit then pour the fruit meat into a deep baking tray. Add half of the Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce and stir, then seal tightly with tin foil. Bake on the same shelf as the sweet potatofor 40 minutes.
4. While waiting prepare the toppings. Simply chop the avocado in half lengthways and spoon out the flesh, then roughly chop. Roughly chop the coriander leaves.
5. Once the sweet potato and jackfruit are cooked, remove from the oven. Mix through the remaining Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce with the jackfruit, then cut open the sweet potatoes.
6. Top with the pulled BBQ jackfruit, avocado and coriander. Plant-based perfection.
Sweet Jackfruit banana muffins
• 1/2 tin of jackfruit
• 1 mashed banana
• 100g of coconut flour
• ½ scoop banana Raw sport protein powder (optional)
• ½ tsp baking powder
• Pinch of salt
• Water to make into a cake mixture consistency
• Sweetener of your choice – I use stevia
1. Preheat oven to 180c
2. Mix all ingredients together
3. Bake for 30 minutes
Vegan Jackfruit curry
Vegan Pulled Pork Jackfruit
And a whole load more
Where to buy Jackfruit
In the UK, it is highly unlikely that your local supermarket will stock a whole jackfruit; you could try your local Chinese or Indian supermarket or opt for a tinned version! The tins range from around £1.99 to £3.99.
Not only is jackfruit available in tins but lots of the supermarkets are jumping on the bandwagon and creating tasty jackfruit meals.